Monday, August 26, 2013

Driving,Drunk people, and divine help

Dumela everyone,
Well this has probably been the longest week on mission so far. Not cause it was bad but just because so much happened! I’ll just start from the beginning and try to get in as much as I can.
So Monday right after I emailed Sister Graves, Nyambita and I drove the 5 hours down to Gabs. It was a fun to just hang out with them so it passed quickly. When we got there we went to a training meeting with President Wilson. He basically trained us to be trainers. It helped me a lot and it gave me a bit of a confidence boost. So that was great. Then in the morning (Tuesday) we got up bright and early and went to transfer meeting. Basically they just tell everyone where they are being transferred to and who their new companion is. I already knew cause President Wilson called me. But I found out I wasn’t going to pick up my new companion until later that day. I was ok with that though. Sister Graves and I were temporary companions till ours came so we spent the day going around saying hi to my old investigators. It was good to see them. Then I finally got to pick up my new companion! Her name is Sister Scott. She is from Arkansas and she’s 19. She is such a sweet girl. I like her a lot. She's definitely green but she is excited to be a missionary and she's ready to work hard. It’s definitely different having a companion younger than me (in terms of time on mission) but its going ok so far. 
Anyways, back to the week. So that was Tuesday. That night we just hung out with the other sisters and played get to know you games and stuff like that. Then early Wednesday morning we left to go back to Francistown! Then we went straight into teaching appointments. Its very different teaching with someone who doesn’t quite know what they are doing but its amazing how I have been able to help her know what to say. And even more amazing how I have been given the words to say. I don’t know if I am making sense. For the past almost 5 months, I have been with someone more, or equally as experienced as me, so I have been able to let them take over in hard situations. I didn’t know how I was going to be able to be the one who needs to take over but somehow I've been able to. I have been able to answer questions I don’t know the answer to, remember scriptures I hadn’t read in weeks, and understand people's concerns without them really telling us. And none of that was from anything I was doing. That was all the Lord. He really does qualify those he calls. 
Thursday and Friday were pretty normal days. We did some tracting, did some teaching, saw a dust devil (those mini tornado type things) that was like 50 feet tall, almost got run over by a donkey cart, our neighbor had a bonfire in his backyard so now our flat has been smelling like smoke for days... you know, the basics.
Then came Saturday. It started off great! We had a Mormom Helping Hands service project. We helped clean up a local school's grounds. They really appreciated the help and we had a great time. It was nice to just kind of take a break from missionary work to do service. Then the afternoon was a little rough. Mostly because for some reason like every other person we saw was ridiculously drunk. One in particular was bad. Now that Sister Graves is gone, I am the only makgoa in Monarch. (I seriously haven’t seen another one in our area other than the missionaries the whole 7 weeks I’ve been here) So I get some unwanted attention. Mostly its just little kids yelling "MAKGOA" as we walk by (which is actually pretty hilarious) but on Saturday it was from a man who was horribly drunk. We were drove up to our appointment and while we were praying he started knocking on the window. We didn’t really know what to do so we just sat there for a minute hoping he would go away. He didn’t. It was light out and there were other people around so we decided to just go ahead and get out of the car. He kept tying to hug me and talk to me and telling me that he loved me and at one point Sister Scott had to step between him and me so he would back off. This went on for longer than I would have liked before he finally walked away. I was fine but it was just not fun. We thought that was going to be the end of it but then like 10 minutes later he came back with a drunk woman. They interrupted our lesson and the lady started yelling at us. Then the guy started coming at me again. Sister Scott and I looked at each other and we knew we needed to get out of there. Right now. So we apologized to the investigator (they understood) and ran to the car and drove away. I am fine and so is Sister Scott but it definitely shook us up and for the rest of the afternoon we were just really out of sorts. We are going to try and teach that investigator somewhere else now.
So that was a rough day. The rest of the weekend was great though! Especially because of Kelebogile. I can’t remember if I have mentioned her before or not. We have been teaching her for a long time now. She has been making some progress but she had a lot of issues she needed to work through. She has a chastity problem and a word of wisdom problem and she hasn’t been coming to church. She has been telling us for weeks now that she has been working on figuring things out but it hasn’t been going too well. Well when we saw her this week there was something obviously different about her. She was just glowing she was so happy. She sat us down and told us she had news for us. In a nutshell she told us that she has decided that it is time for her to be baptized. She has completely given up everything against the word of wisdom, she kicked her boyfriend out and is now completely keeping the law of chastity, she read a bunch from the Book of Mormon, prayed about it, found out it was true, prayed about the church and found out it was true and she came to church on Sunday. Its like she had a complete 180 degree turn around. It’s incredible! It’s seriously like she’s a whole different person. She is scheduled to be baptized at the end of next month. I am so excited. 
Well I am more tired than I think I have ever been in my life but the work is moving on. Training is pretty difficult but every day I feel the Lord helping me along. Prayers sure are answered. My favorite scripture of the week was D&C 135. The whole section. I read it and the spirit witnessed to me again that Joseph Smith truly was a prophet and that he really did die defending the only true church upon the face of the earth. 
I love you all so much. Keep the prayers coming. They really are making all the difference for me. 
Love, Sister Gehring

This pretty well describes our relationship with Elder Erickson (our district leader). We are pretty sure he thought we were nuts
And this pretty well describes our 3 some. We had fun.

Sister Twongeirwe, Sister Vuki, me, Sister Graves, Sister Nyambita, and Sister Vea.

My new companion, Sister Scott!
All the Francistown missionaries.

Sister Scott and Me.
The whole Mormon Helping Hands group!

While we were tracting, a whole herd of cattle came and blocked the street we were trying to go down. I guess we weren't meant to tract there?

No comments:

Post a Comment