Monday, September 29, 2014

Curve Balls

Dear Family,


Just when you think life can't throw you any more curve balls, one hits you straight in the face. This week was kind of like that. It was a great week but it was definitely not at all what I thought it would be.



It started off great. We had another powerful lesson with Andrew on tuesday. He is progressing so well still! But during his lesson we got a phone call from President Erickson saying that Sister Sempa was going home. He had been talking with her and her family and the Africa Southeast area offices of the church, and under the direction of the Lord it was decided that Sister Sempa should return home. It was hard news but I know its for the best. Im just sad to see her go so soon.


Then on Wednesday we were on exchanges. So I got to be companions with Sister lyon for the day! It was so cool to see her again. Sister Lyon and I have been serving together for a long time. We lived next to each other in Botswana for 3 months and then we lived together in the same flat for almost 8 months in Lusaka. We spent a large part of the day trying to track down members that nobody knows where they are now. We didn't find any of the members but a lot of the people who now stay at their old homes let us in to teach them! So that was pretty exciting.



Then on Thursday first thing in the morning we went to a funeral of the father of one of the members. Funerals here are so sad. People mourn like I have never seen before. Literally weeping and wailing and fainting and falling. It hard to see people so sad. But it makes me grateful for the knowledge we have of the plan of salvation. We had to leave the funeral early though so we could take Sister Sempa to the bus stop. She left on a bus to Lusaka and then she flew home on Friday. I got word that she made it home safely so that's good. Since Sister Sempa has gone home I'm now in a 3-some companionship with Sister Hirwa and Sister Solomone. Its so great to be with Sister Hirwa again! And Sister Solomone is awesome too. I think we will be together till I go home.



Friday was Michael's birthday (a member in Luanshya)! He came teaching with us the entire day! It was fun to be with him and celebrate by teaching!



Then on Saturday we had probably the best lesson of my entire mission. We had an appointment with this guy the other sisters had been teaching but when we got there he told the kids to come tell us he wasn't home. We knew he was lying but we just said ok. Then one of the kids said ''You can just teach us!" So we thought, why not?? So the little boy, Crispin, called over his brother, MacLeon, and we had a lesson with them! (both of them are 6 years old). It was the most hilarious lesson of my life! The kids are smart. Like really smart. They understood everything we taught. But they are 6 year old boys. They asked the funnest questions and said the funniest things. The entire time I was wishing I had it all on video. It was the best!!! Little kids are the greatest!!!



Sunday was good too. Andrew came to church again and brought his best friend Andrew! then 3 other people we invited also came to church! Me, Sister Hirwa, and Sister Solomone ended up teaching the last hour of primary. Primary here is different than at home. The branch is so small there are only about 10-15 ids in primary total. ages 2-11. By the time we got there they had already done the lesson so we just sang songs and played games with them. once again, little kids are the greatest! I loved being in there with them. Then we had a lesson with both Andrews after church. Andrew (the one we have been teaching) was answering all the questions his friend was asking like he's been a member for years! Im so excited for this guy! I pray every single day that ill be able to be here for his baptism! He works a lot so its hard to see him very often and on top of that we are working 2 areas now that Im with the other sisters so there is even less time to see him. But we are going to do the best we can.



Then today was great too. We went to Kitwe. Its a town about 40 mins from Luanshya. Its still in the copperbelt though. We saw the other missionaries, we got some ice cream, we did some souvenir shopping, we had some fun... we just had a really awesome day! Thats why Im emailing so late today.



So yea... life is good but its crazy. Lots happened this week! Nothing ever goes as planned on mission. Im guessing thats just how life is too. These next two weeks are going to be busy! We are working 2 areas now so there is no time to waste! Which is good. I literally can't afford to slack off on my last weeks! Im glad for it.



I can't believe my time is almost up! This is my 2nd to last email ever as a missionary! It doesn't seem real!



Well, I love you so much! Have a great week!



Love, Sister Gehring
Lusaka goodbyes!
 

Lusaka goodbyes!
 

Lusaka goodbyes!
 

More goodbyes
 


Lusaka district!!

More goodbyes
 

More goodbyes

even more goodbyes! I really miss Lusaka sometimes...
 

even more goodbyes! I really miss Lusaka sometimes...
 

even more goodbyes! I really miss Lusaka sometimes...
 

Lots of goodbyes
 

Goodbye to the missionaries. That part is really hard too. 
 

Goodbye to the missionaries. That part is really hard too. 
 

Lots of goodbyes
 

Goodbye to the missionaries. That part is really hard too. 
 

Lots of goodbyes
 

Goodbye to the girls... probably the hardest part.
 

Goodbye to the girls... probably the hardest part.
 

The Luanshya meeting house! Its in the 2nd floor of an old furniture warehouse. But its dedicated to the Lord so its a Holy Place!

Me, Sister Sempa (who is now back home in Uganda), Sister Mudenda (who has gone to serve in Uganda), Sister Hirwa, and Sister Solomone

Me and Sister Sempa
 

Deepa, our neighbour/ investigator. We threw a surprise birthday part for her. She's pretty great.

Once upon a time I was walking along a dirt road in Ndeke (one of our areas). I was looking for a house number so I wasn't watching where I was going. Then I fell. The end.

Once upon another time we were buying some vegetables at a street market. I saw a fruit that I had never seen before so I asked what it was. the lady just said ''2 kwacha! 2 kwacha!! It tastes nice! 2 kwacha!'' So I bought it for 2 kwacha (which is like 50 cents). First of all, I had to smash it on the cement just to get it open- thats how hard it was. Then when I looked inside, this is what I found. And if you can believe it, it tasted even worse than it looks. NEVER BUY 2 KWACHA MYSTERY FRUIT!!
 

I got to see Sister Lyon in the copperbelt!!! 

Im mastering the art of ''pondering''

Goodbye to Sister Sempa... its sad to see her go so soon.
 

Michael Kanyesha and us! He is a member in the branch that comes teaching with us all the time. It was his birthday an he still came teaching with us the whole day. He's the best!

Crispin and MacLeon. CUTEST BOYS EVER. Their facial expressions pretty accurately describe their personalities.

Sunday dinner picnic on the floor! Just like home!
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment