In all seriousness though, I really am excited to serve the Lord and the people in southern Africa. I can't wait to see what he has in store for me!
Now just a little background for anybody who doesn't know:
- As the title of the blog says, I will be serving the the South Africa Johannesburg mission. This consists of the north-eastern part of South Africa and the entire country just north of it called Botswana.
- My mission is English speaking. I was originally a bit bummed about this but I'm actually pretty glad now.
- For safety reasons, sister missionaries usually stay in Botswana.
- A new mission was just created that separates Botswana from the South African areas. The change takes affect in July so stay tuned to see if I do in fact change missions!
- I am 19 so the reason I'm able to serve now is because of the Church's new policy that lowered the age requirement for missionaries. I think that might forever remain my favorite conference session of all time.
- My favorite color is yellow. (Hey I never specified what kind of background I was giving)
Now before I go, I just want everyone to know that the reason I'm leaving everything behind and moving half way across the world for a year and a half is that I know that The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints is true. I love the joy it brings me and I want to share that joy with as many other people as I can. People keep asking me if I'm nervous. I'm really not. And its because I know that what I'm doing is the right thing for me and I know its what the Lord wants me to be doing right now. I know that the next 18 months will be the hardest of my life so far. But I also know that they will be the best.
Thank you again for all the support you've shown me. I couldn't have done it without you. I'll see all ya'lls in 18 months!!!
Lots of love,
Sister Chelsea Gehring