Monday, April 1, 2013

Goodbye!

Well everybody, I'm off! I'm getting set apart tonight, my plane takes off tomorrow, and I report to the MTC in South Africa on Thursday!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm so excited to be able to start this incredible adventure. I hope you all know how much I appreciate the love and support you have shown me as I've prepared to serve! Either my mom or my sister will post my weekly emails on this blog so you will all know that I haven't been eaten by a crocodile or a lion or some other awesome African animal. Also be prepared for some major spiritual uplifting. (I've always been so humble)

In all seriousness though, I really am excited to serve the Lord and the people in southern Africa. I can't wait to see what he has in store for me! 


Now just a little background for anybody who doesn't know:

  • As the title of the blog says, I will be serving the the South Africa Johannesburg mission. This consists of the north-eastern part of South Africa and the entire country just north of it called Botswana.
  • My mission is English speaking. I was originally a bit bummed about this but I'm actually pretty glad now.
  • For safety reasons, sister missionaries usually stay in Botswana.
  • A new mission was just created that separates Botswana from the South African areas. The change takes affect in July so stay tuned to see if I do in fact change missions!
  • I am 19 so the reason I'm able to serve now is because of the Church's new policy that lowered the age requirement for missionaries. I think that might forever remain my favorite conference session of all time.
  • My favorite color is yellow. (Hey I never specified what kind of background I was giving)


Now before I go, I just want everyone to know that the reason I'm leaving everything behind and moving half way across the world for a year and a half is that I know that The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints is true. I love the joy it brings me and I want to share that joy with as many other people as I can. People keep asking me if I'm nervous. I'm really not. And its because I know that what I'm doing is the right thing for me and I know its what the Lord wants me to be doing right now. I know that the next 18 months will be the hardest of my life so far. But I also know that they will be the best.

Thank you again for all the support you've shown me. I couldn't have done it without you. I'll see all ya'lls in 18 months!!!

Lots of love,
Sister Chelsea Gehring

2 comments:

  1. With a testimony like that, you will be a great missionary. The people of South Africa and Botswana are blessed to have you there. Yellow is a great color! I love you!

    ReplyDelete