Monday, July 22, 2013

Vomit of the Sea

Dear Family,
Here is a list of the different ways my name has been significantly mispronounced so far on mission:
-Sister Greenranch
-Sister Hoffing
-Sister Jerry
-Sister Gear-rot
-Sister Ge eh herring
-Sister Cathering
-Sister Fleming
-Sister Creek
-Sister Grinding

I'm looking forward to additions to this list.

 Well a good way to describe this week would be "filled with laughter". I don’t really know why but we just laughed a LOT this week. Here are a few of the causes:

 1. A lady we are teaching introduced us to her former preacher and told him very boldly that our church is true and he should probably learn about it so he can stop leading people away. (We held it together for the time we were talking but when we got in the car we lost it big time)

 2. A family we are teaching flat out told Sister Graves they hate her name. They told her it was evil and she might as well change her name to Sister Cemetery.

 3. During church yesterday a little kid took his diaper off and threw it across the room. (It was very poopy...)

 4. And the funniest moment of the week: Someone told us that the literal translation of makgoa (which we thought just means "white person") actually means "Vomit of the sea." When we found that out, all three of us about died. For some reason it was just so funny.

 I'm sorry if the things I tell you about aren’t amusing at all. I wish I could better describe things in a way that they would actually sound funny. Just know that I am enjoying myself here. In the missionary work and otherwise.

 Here are 2 of the significant things I’ve learned this week:

 1. The Lord truly does prepare hearts to hear about the gospel. I’ve stopped even trying to keep track of the little things that have just been huge testimony builders of that fact. Things like people having questions about the exact topic we had planned to teach them, or people having just given up coffee when we teach about the word of wisdom, or people reading the exact verse in the scriptures that we had planned to teach them. They happen daily. It’s incredible to see how true it is that this is the Lord's work. He really is in charge.

 2. The scriptures are hilarious. I know that sounds like a weird thing to say. And maybe I'm misinterpreting the council to find joy in the scriptures. But they seriously are! The little things people say and the way the prophets write just completely show their personalities! It’s like President Monson. He’s so funny! It in no way takes away from the fact that he is the true prophet of God but it makes listening to his words enjoyable. For me it’s the same with the scriptures. I constantly laugh while I'm reading but I learn So much from them. I’ll look up some specific examples this week to try and explain better.

 Also here's an update about residency. I found out this week that I've actually only been half way rejected. Something like that. I don’t quite understand completely to be honest. But bottom line, I'm not getting kicked out yet. It could change at any moment but for now I'm ok. I'm just relying on the fact that everything is going to work out like the Lord has always planned. 

 My favorite scripture of the week is 2 Nephi 8:12. I just love the question
He asks. "Who art thou that thou shouldst be afraid of man who shall die...?" Who am I that I should fear man? I am part of the Lord's army right now. It’s pointless to fear when I have Heavenly Father on my side.

 Well that’s about it for this week. Being in a threesome is still great. I love Sister Graves and Sister Nyambita. Trying to work in 2 areas is a challenge to say the least but we are doing our best to make it work. We find today if it’ll be like this for the rest of the transfer or not. I’m still loving the work. We taught almost 40 lessons this week so we are definitely staying busy. I’m more tired than I've ever been in my life but also happier than I've ever been. Funny how that works out. 

 Thanks for everything. I love you so much. I’ll try to send pictures next week. The computer is being slow today. Love you love you!!!

 Love, Sister Gehring
p.s. I love Botswana

No comments:

Post a Comment