Monday, July 1, 2013

Brand new mission-I'm making history!

My dear family,
First off, I know you already know this but I'm exited about it so I'm going to tell you anyways... I'm now officially in the Botswana/ Namibia mission!!!!!!!!!!!!!! How cool is that?? I'm part of a brand new mission! As far as I know I'm just going to stay in Botswana. Missionaries aren't allowed in Namibia as of right now. But who knows what will happen in the next 15 months. Exciting stuff is ahead!

So because we were splitting from the Johannesburg mission, this week we had a big goodbye conference. President Omer and his wife came up for the last time. It was harder than I thought it would be to say bye to them. I've only even met them like 3 times but still, he was my mission president. There is this connection to the people you serve with. We had a really nice little program to say bye. The office elders prepared a slideshow of pictures to show and a few people performed musical numbers. All the sisters sang I Know That My Redeemer Lives. Then we had a big lunch and everyone took pictures. It was really nice. Fun thing though was that me, Sister Anderson, Sister Gillis, and Sister Cook (one other companionship) all wore matching dresses. I realize that sounds super cheesy but it was way fun. One of our investigators gave us a couple bags of clothes to donate to the church and in the bags were some traditional Botswana dresses. So we decided to wear them for the conference! People started calling us the Feirsome Four (I probably spelled that wrong). It was way fun. It stinks that we don't get to keep the dresses though. Before I come home I will definitely be buying one.

Other than that though, this week was extremely uneventful. We taught some good lessons, did a bunch more tracting, helped one of the senior couples get ready for the mission split, and cleaned the new mission home for the new president. Fun thing with that is that me and Sister Anderson decided to put sticky notes up all over the mission home with funny quotes, scriptures and little words of encouragement on them. Apparently when President Wilson's wife saw them she cried cause she was so happy. I'm glad we did it.
In other news I got all scraped up this week. Last Monday after I emailed you guys, we had a zone activity. We played ultimate spoons. It got intense. So we were at an apartment complex where one of the senior couples stays. So we did the whole card passing part on the porch but then the spoons were hidden all over the playground on the other side of building. There were like 20 missionaries playing. So as you could imagine, it was quite a sight to see to watch a bunch of young people frantically running around looking for spoons. By the end of the game, like 5 or 6 little kids had all come out of their houses to watch us. It was pretty cute.

Other than that really nothing happened this week. I'm sorry that this email is kind of short and boring. I'm still loving it here. Our area is slowly but surely growing stronger. And my 3 month mark is this week. I can't believe how fast time is flying. Its July! Craziness.

Before I go Ill explain the significance behind last week's favorite scriptures. So Mosiah 21:16- I just like the first part. I read it and it struck me a lot. I have been having a hard time with the new area. It just has felt like things were going so slow and nothing productive was happening. But when I read this it made me realize that its not going to happen over night. Its going to happen by degrees.

Then there was Mosiah 26:37- I like it because of one word. Circumspectly. I looked it up in the dictionary and it means that you take no risks. So when you walk circumspectly before God, you do everything they can to stay on the straight and narrow. You don't see how close you can get to the edge.

And lastly- Alma 3:27- I just like how it basically says that whoever you work for is who you will get paid by. I think I'd rather get paid by Heavenly Father so I think I'll work for him.
And now for this week's favorite scripture- 3Nephi 13:21. If I treasure the work and if I treasure Christ and if I treasure the people, my heart will truly be in it.

Well I love you lots and I hope you all have a lovely week!!
Love, Sister Gehring


p.s. My first name is starting to sound really weird. Its strange.

No comments:

Post a Comment